Welcome! Today’s guest is Norm Bour, the author of Success at Any Age. He is the founder and chief business mentor of Vape Mentors. Today he addresses the scary factors of not being prepared for changes in the economy and business. The reality is that we continue to reinvent ourselves throughout our lives, and this is Norm’s focus. He restarted from scratch at age 59!
What You’ll Hear from Norm:
- At age 26, Norm worked in real estate and then branched into financial planning.
- When 2008 came, Norm ran a successful mortgage business, but his world collapsed, and his 30-year career was over!
- Norm started doing workshops for small businesses about cash flow and debt management.
- He formed a partnership to create 100-day business acceleration program all over southern CA.
- What kills more businesses than anything else is EGO—not being willing to acknowledge that change was needed.
- Norm’s workshops were going great, but he was not generating much income.
- In 2013, he faced the loss of his marriage, his income, and his business—this was when he wrote his book.
- Norm was forced to reinvent himself, and learn to think in terms of abundance and not scarcity.
- “I’ve got 30-40 years’ worth of entrepreneurial experience; what should I do with it? The answer was to teach other people.”
- Your business model has to be constantly changing because of the constant changes happening in the world around us.
- During this transitional time, he explored the “Vape Shop” industry, did research, and found an industry poised for exponential growth and dominated by Millennials.
- In 2015, vaping was a $3.5 billion industry!
- Norm teaches people how to develop their entrepreneurial spirit in the vaping business. He writes for several magazines and does a podcast and radio show.
- He sees people in their 50’s and 60’s starting over every single day!
- Norm’s advice? “Be open and aware that things will change and be ready to adapt. Uncertainty is the new norm.”
- What’s next for Norm? He will launch out into the speaking circuit and have his newest book out soon!